Walmart stores are spread throughout Texas offering employment opportunities, cheap goods, and competitive pricing to Texans. The sheer number of these stores and the large amount of traffic in them results in a large amount of Walmart slip and fall claims. The skilled slip and fall accident attorneys at Wolf Law, PLLC understand premises liability law in Texas and have successfully handled slip and fall claims for clients.
If you or someone you care about has been involved in a Texas Walmart slip and fall accident, this article will cover everything you need to know about Walmart slip and fall claims including What You Should Do After a Walmart Slip and Fall and When Walmart is Liable for Slip and Fall Accidents.
What Should You Do After an Walmart Slip and Fall Accident
If you or a loved one was injured in a Walmart due to a slip and fall, follow these steps:
- Always seek medical attention as soon as possible. Prioritize your health by calling an ambulance or by going to your primary care provider. Getting prompt medical attention can be crucial to stopping injuries from becoming more serious. It can also lend legitimacy to your case against the megastore if it comes to that.
- Report your accident: As soon as a slip and fall accident occurs, let Walmart management know there has been an incident. If you are able, ask them to file an incident report detailing what happened and when and where it occurred. Paper trails can prove beneficial down the road.
- Document scene of the accident: If you are able, or if someone with you is, document the scene after a fall. If there were hazards that should have been addressed, photograph those issues.
- Document your injuries: Take pictures of your injuries at the scene and at the hospital. They may become evidence when it comes time to settle or go to court.
- Witnesses are important: If anyone saw the premises liability accident, get their contact information and a brief statement, as this will be helpful when filing a claim.
- Record medical expenses: Keep good records concerning any treatments, tests, procedures, surgeries, or therapies that were required.
- Track expenses: If you miss work, note the lost wages. Keep notes about travel expenses and home alterations that may have been necessary.
- Seek legal counsel: A Dallas premises liability attorney can help you protect your rights, will understand how to strengthen your case, and will keep you apprised of the status of your case. Your personal injury lawyer will evaluate your claim and help you seek appropriate damages.
When Walmart is Liable for Slip and Fall Accidents
Texas law holds businesses responsible for accidents happening on their premises in certain circumstances. Walmart can potentially be held legally responsible for slip and fall accidents in the following circumstances:
- When employees or management knew of a condition that threatened the safety of those in the store
- When Walmart employees ignored the problem and did not take the proper steps to warn passersby of the problem or try to remedy it
- The store failed to take action required by its duty of care, which resulted in a personal injury due to a slip-and-fall accident
Risky Conditions in Texas Walmart Stores
The very nature of Walmart means it is full of potential risks that would cause severe injuries due to falls. If you are visiting a Walmart in Texas, keep an eye out for hazards within the store. Some of the most typical hazards that cause injuries in Walmart stores in Texas are as follows:
- Wet floors: Recently mopped floors, spills, or leaks can make the already hard, slick floors more slippery, leading to slip-and-fall accidents. Slippery floors should be marked with appropriate signage or barricades so that customers and employees avoid the areas. Leaks and spills should be promptly cleaned.
- Poorly lit conditions: Inadequate lighting can create possible hazards. Light bulbs should be promptly replaced upon going out, and staircases and other areas should be intentionally well-lit to avoid accidents.
- Rugs and mats: Any mat or rug within a Texas Walmart should be secured to the floor. Otherwise, it becomes a tripping hazard.
- Risks related to weather: Anything that can be tracked inside can create a condition conducive to falls. The store should ensure rain, ice, snow, hail, and/or mud are cleared immediately if brought in from outside.
- Lack of safety features: Particular areas require safety features like banisters, guardrails, handrails, grab bars, and the like. If areas like ramps and staircases are not outfitted with these features, the threat of falling increases.
- Parking lot issues: Texas Walmarts can be potentially hazardous if they are not properly maintained. Falls could happen because of cracks, broken steps, and potholes; but poor weather conditions could also become more problematic if there is not proper drainage.
- Spill cleanups: If a spill happens and is not promptly and properly cleaned, the surface can become a slippery mess that causes accidents.
- Warning signs: When maintenance or cleaning is taking place, signs are imperative. The store has a responsibility to its customers to let them know if there are hazards to be avoided.
- Items improperly stacked: Sometimes, Walmart has items stacked above the heads of their customers. All items stored and displayed should be done so properly so that they do not fall on customers or cause them to fall.
If any of these conditions cause you to sustain an injury, you may be entitled to damages. Speak to a Texas slip-and-fall attorney about the circumstances of your case to assess whether or not you should file a claim.
Contact Wolf Law, PLLC to Discuss Your Walmart Slip and Fall Claim Today
Without a doubt, some of the employees in Walmart stores care about their jobs and keeping the place free from hazards. However, due to a lack of training and low pay, many employees are not provided with the motivation to keep the premises free of hazards for customers and fellow employees. The retention rate of Walmart employees is a year or less, so ensuring the store is maintained properly is not something that many people are going to be invested in. This results in slip-and-fall accidents becoming commonplace.
If you were injured in a Walmart because there should have been a “clean up on aisle 9” that did not occur or because they failed to properly warn customers of hazards, you could be entitled to damages. If Walmart did not take proper precautions to keep you safe when visiting their store, and you sustained an injury due to a slip and fall accident, contact Wolf Law, PLLC. We will examine your case’s details and help you obtain the maximum possible financial compensation.